To all Kombat community members and site visitors: we’ve moved the blog! In order to streamline things and give you guys the best online Kombat Arts experience possible, you can now find us attached to the main site at:
From here on out that’s the only blog we’ll be using, so please remember to update your bookmarks. We’re still in the process of updating the site, so thanks for your patience regarding any glitches.
See you there!
Posted in Kombat News
Tagged BJJ, bjj schools, boxing, Brampton, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu schools, Canada, combat arts, Etobicoke, fitness, health, Jeet kune do, JKD, Joey de Los Reyes, kali, kickboxing, Kombat Arts, martial arts, Milton, Mississauga, mixed martial arts, MMA schools, Muay Thai, Muay Thai boxing schools, Oakville, Ontario, Savate, Thai boxing schools, Toronto
A heartfelt message from Kru Joey:
On Saturday evening, myself and a few of the senior students, athletes and instructors received the terrible news that Kearn Nedd was fatally shot. We still don’t have all of the details about the situation and frankly we do not wish to speculate or initiate any rumors, as this is a sensitive topic for a lot of people, and we should all remain respectful of Kearn’s family and closest friends.
It was both fun and quite interesting training Kearn at the Kombat Arts. His antics will be remembered by all his trainers, fellow athletes and members. His loss will be felt by the martial arts community, and more significantly by the community. It is disheartening to hear that his life is cut short by circumstances beyond any of our control.
Just under two weeks left until UFC 129 in Toronto. Here’s your link dump for the week ending Sun. April 17, 2011.
- Baseball players are turning to MMA coaches to learn more about qualities like balance, quickness, and explosive power, and to pick up game-changing new training methods. Here’s what America’s favourite pastime is learning from its fastest growing sport. [The New York Times]
- Our friend Jay D shares this video of Alex Ariza, Manny Pacquiao’s strength and conditioning coach, answering viewer questions about fitness and diet. Nice too see such a candid, informative video from one of the best trainers out there. [JD Training]
- Obviously we know sugar isn’t the healthiest thing to be eating all the time, but in this massive piece for the Times, Gary Taubes goes one further: is sugar toxic? He lays out a compelling argument for “yes” and also asks tough questions about why we think about health the way we do. [The New York Times]
- “Gone are the days when a fight might involve a gun, a makeshift weapon, or a hit that actually hurts. Now every movie hero is Jet Li, and every woman is Buffy the Vampire Slayer.” New York mag is wondering: are martial arts ruining action movies? [Vulture]
- You’ve probably heard all of these before but, just in case you need reminding, here’s 16 harsh truths about life that will make you stronger in the end. [Marc and Angel Hack Life]
Thanks to Kombat’s Twitterstream for swapping resources. Follow us @KombatArts!
The Kombat Classic 2011 BJJ tournament will be held in Brampton at Turner Fenton Secondary School, on May 28 weekend.
For information on registration, cost, divisions, deadlines and more, visit the Kombat Classic 2011 event page and stay tuned for any updates.
Posted in Kombat News
Tagged BJJ, Brampton, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Canada, Etobicoke, grappling, grappling tournament, Kombat Arts, kombat classic, Kombat Classic 2011 BJJ tournament, Milton, Mississauga, Oakville, Ontario, Toronto
Congrats to Daniel Sanchez on his win in Changmai, Thailand. You can see in the video Kru Eddie and Joel Hollands in his corner. Not much to say, besides watch the video…
Posted in Kombat News, Kombat Videos
Tagged Canada, Changmai, combat arts, Daniel Sanchez, Etobicoke, joel hollands, kickboxing, Kombat Arts, Milton, Mississauga, Muay Thai, Muay Thai boxing, Muay Thai boxing schools, Oakville, Ontario, Thai boxing, Thai boxing schools, Thailand, Toronto
Certificates for the latest Muay Thai tests are available at the front desk. Congrats everyone!
Thanks to Daniel Benoit for these photos from Kru Mehdi Pouroskoui’s visit a couple of weeks ago. It’s always an honour to have Kru Mehdi over at Kombat Arts.
Posted in Kombat News
Tagged Brampton, Canada, combat arts, Etobicoke, fitness, health, Joey de Los Reyes, K1, kickboxing, Kombat Arts, Kru Mehdi Pouroskoui, Mehdi Pouroskoui, Milton, Mississauga, Muay Thai, Muay Thai boxing, Muay Thai boxing schools, Oakville, Ontario, Thai boxing