Last night’s UFC 126 didn’t feature the most exciting performances overall, but there were some really great moments, and important storylines were taken through some plot twists and exciting comclusions.
Demetrious Johnson def. Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto via unanimous decision
Chad Mendes def. Michihiro Omigawa via unanimous decision
Donald Cerrone def. Paul Kelly via submission (rear naked choke), round two
Miguel Torres def. Antonio Banuelos via unanimous decision
Jake Ellenberger def. Carlos Eduardo Rocha via split decision
Jon Jones def. Ryan Bader via submission (guillotine choke), round two
Forrest Griffin def. Rich Franklin via unanimous decision
Anderson Silva def. Vitor Belfort via TKO (kick and punches), round one, retains UFC Middleweight Championship
Thoughts and observations:
- So, who’s calling out Donald Cerrone next? Everyone seems to the think the WEC standout is going to be easy pickings in the UFC.
- Miguel Torres and Jake Ellenberger did what they had to do to win, but they didn’t give the exciting performances I thought they were going to. Both needed to make statements with these fights that I don’t feel they made.
- Surprise storyline of the night: Joe Rogan tells Jon Jones that since Rashad Evans pulled out due to injury, the UFC wants Jones to fight Shogun Rua for the 205 belt. WOW. Makes sense, as Rampage Jackson and Thiago Silva are slated to fight each other, and pushing either one up to number-one contender spot doesn’t make sense since their previous wins were coming off losses.
- Everyone thought the UFC was going to slowly build Jones up to a championship fight; now they’re throwing him right in there. NEXT MONTH. Is it too soon? Or is Jones so impressive that you feel he’s ready?
- I could have sworn I saw Jones teleport at one point. That ain’t right.
- Jones is a HUGE light-heavyweight. He made Ryan Bader look like a little boy.
- I like both Rich Franklin and Forrest Griffin and was going to be sad for whoever lost. Here’s a sadface for ‘Ace’:
- Griffin came through with the decision, but I can’t say ring rust still wasn’t a factor. This entire fight seemed sluggish. Was Franklin injured or sick? Intimidated by Griffin’s size? Or was this just a matter of each having high respect for the other?
- Anderson Silva just added another amazing KO to his already amazing KO highlight reel.
- Yesterday I blogged about how Silva practiced his Muay Boran elbow obsessively before using it to KO Tony Fryklund. How often do you think he drilled the front kick that finished Vitor Belfort?
- Is Silva the pound-for-pound greatest of all time? He is in my books.
- How excited are you for a superfight between Silva and Georges St. Pierre? After GSP vs. Jake Shields, Dana White says both champs will have cleared out their divisions. I need to see this fight. If GSP doesn’t beat Jake Shields and this doesn’t happen, I will cry the tears of a thousand children.
- What’s next for Vitor Belfort?